Sean Finch is standing for election in the Lewisham East By Election.
He is fighting to protect your right of free speech.
Add your details below to support Free Speech
This year we have seen a Scottish comedian found guilty of a criminal offence because of a YouTube joke. The court ruled that they would decide the context and the intended context was not relevant. Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003 states: “A person is guilty of an offence if he sends by means of public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offence of an indecent, obscene or menacing character”. With the precedence set by the court that your intended context does not matter, the right to free speech has ended. If you say something that another finds “grossly offensive” online, YOU ARE NOW A CRIMINAL.
Free speech is a right for everyone, there should be no voices that are silenced, it is the best tool we have for defeating bad ideas. Only a few hundred years ago it was illegal to say the earth was round, there was no god, or that the Earth was not the centre of the universe. If we silence speech now we may be silencing the truth and forever stunting human progress. We may not agree with what you say, but we will defend your right to say it.
If elected Sean Finch wants to:
- Repeal section 127 of the Communications Act 2003
- Push for new legislation which enshrines your right to free speech requiring a super majority to overturn (as no parliament can bind another).
Show Your Support
To do this we need your help, we need to show the other candidates how important this issue is, we need to pressure other MP’s to take this issue seriously, we need to show parliament that people care about free speech. Please sign our petition below, please show the world how many people care about free speech.
You can also show your support by downloading our poster and putting this in your window to let other people in your street know how important the fight for free speech is.Download Poster
We will use your data in the following ways:
- To bolster Sean’s campaign by detailing how widely supported it is
- To challenge other candidates in the seat by asking if they have the same level of backing nationally
- We will contact MP’s detailing how many of their constituents signed, we will not release any of your personal information unless you give us specific authorisation by ticking the box above.
- We will publish aggregated stats on which areas support free speech the most, this may appear via any media (Facebook, print, in speeches)
Promoted by the Libertarian Party, Gemini House, 136-140 Old Shoreham Road, Brighton, BN3 7BD,
on behalf of Sean Finch, 29 Berkley Court, Swanley, Kent, BR8 7UD.